Dorset Coast Forum’s Aquaculture Development Officer provides support to both the Fisheries and Aquaculture industry by:
- Providing advice, information, signposting and support to the industry.
- Working in partnership across the sector to provide links, connections and advice for project development.
- Promoting the sector at a local, regional and national scale.
- Helping to write funding bids and increase investment into the sector.
- Identifying opportunities.
- Developing and running working groups or issue specific groups for the industry and other stakeholders.
- Building relationships between aquaculture and other sectors.
- Providing ongoing stakeholder engagement, collaboration and information dissemination across all marine users and sectors.
- Supporting and promoting the High Potential Opportunity (HPO), and more ………
Dorset Mariculture Strategy
The Dorset Mariculture strategy was launched in September 2020 and aims to provide a route for sustainable marine aquaculture development across Dorset for the next five years.
The Dorset Mariculture Strategy’s Vision
“To have an industry-leading, highly productive aquaculture sector, driven by sustainable production practices and continuous innovation. A sector that delivers a resilient seafood supply chain, contributes to UK food security and brings substantial socio-economic benefits to coastal communities across Dorset”.
Dorset & Devon Aquaculture Website
Promotes the aquaculture market in Dorset and East Devon which is growing to meet national and global demand for fish, shellfish and aquatic plants by developing and deploying technologies. Visit the website here
High Potential Opportunity for Sustainable Aquaculture (HPO)
Dorset has been recognised by the Department for International Trade with the award of a High Potential Opportunity for Sustainable Aquaculture (HPO). The HPO details investment opportunities and is intended to help attract Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and support sectors to develop business in the South West. Find out more here
South West Aquaculture Network (SWAN)
Building on the Dorset, “High Potential Opportunity” and part of Maritime UK South West, the SWAN network exists to promote and develop aquaculture in the region. Find out more here
Dorset Living Better Investment Prospectus
Dorset LEP showcases investment opportunities across all that is best and unique about Dorset. Dorset can be at the forefront of tackling some of humanity’s biggest challenges, pioneering new approaches to healthy ageing, food production and climate change, including the ambition for Dorset being the aquaculture lead for the UK.
Download the Investment Prospectus to find out more.
Jurassic Sea Farms, seaweed harvesting
Aquaculture Showcase Event – 16th January 2020
DCF hosted an event to showcase the results of the CEFAS Aquaculture Mapping project, present the draft Dorset Marine Aquaculture Strategy for comments and the Virtual Aquaculture Hub, a new resource for the industry. Here are the presentations from the day.
1. Aquaculture Showcase – Dorset Coast Forum Welcome slides
2. Simon Kershaw- CEFAS Aquaculture Mapping
3. Martin Syvret – Aquaculture Virtual Hub – tour of new website https://www.dorsetaquaculture.co.uk/
4. Martin Sutcliffe – Dorset Marine Aquaculture Strategy
5. Pia Bateman – Southern IFCA & role in Aquaculture Management & Regulation
FLAG Aquaculture Workshop Report Feb 2018
Dorset Aquaculture & Fisheries Development Officer
Photo credit: Butterfly Effect Films