May Team News
Posted : June 26, 2019
- We have published a new South Marine Plan Resource on our website which gives a simple explanation of the plans, who they’re relevant to and how they are used. Take a look here: https://www.dorsetcoast.com/resources/south-coast-marine-plans/
- Work on developing the ‘Aquaculture Virtual Hub’ has now started. The integration of the FLAG funded ‘Aquaculture Mapping Project’ with the Hub was highlighted at the Seafish Aquaculture Common Issues Group (ACIG) Meeting in London on the 30th April.
- The final draft of the DIT High Potential Opportunity (HPO) offering, highlighting Dorset and East Devon as sites for investment for aquaculture is due to be finalised in the next few weeks. The HPO is already attracting interest from potential overseas investors looking to set up aquaculture operations in the UK.
- A shellfish purification training course is being planned for the Dorset and wider south west region. This course will be run by the Southern Shellfish Training Centre, an Approved Training Provider for the Sea Fish Industry Authority. If anyone is interested in attending this course, then please contact Martin Syvret on 07966 461810 for further details.
Dorset Coastal Connections (DoCC)
- Highcliffe Castle Zig Zag path opened to the public before the Easter weekend, allowing access from the castle down to the beach. An official opening will take place later this month.
- Vertical Technologies have completed their work at Fossil Forest, where they have installed rock netting and a catch fence. The site is now ready for the steps and railing to be replaced during the summer holidays.
- Work on West Bay Welcome Hub has begun and will be ongoing until the end of June. In the meantime, alternative motorcycle parking is available at East Pier on Sundays and bank holidays.
- The last few pieces of animal architecture and seating are being installed this month on the River Lim path between Lyme Regis and Uplyme.
- Work has continued behind the scenes to establish the best way to deliver the boardwalk on to East Beach in West Bay.
- The DoCC team have been keeping close links with the Dorset Council Highways team in relation to comms surrounding the works to install and renew a cycle link from Burton Road to Station Yard in West Bay.
Dorset and East Devon Fisheries Local Action Group (FLAG)
- The FLAG has been awarded an extra £154,000 of funding from the MMO. This money was made available nationally due to fluctuations in exchange rates between the Euro and Pound and English FLAGs were required to bid for it with ready-to-go projects. The extra funding will support three more projects in the FLAG area.
- The FLAG remains closed to new expressions of interest and applications currently.
- Martin and Natalie will be attending the English FLAG networking event in Amble, Northumberland in May. These events give the FLAG officers the chance to share best practice with other English FLAGs and also give us the chance to catch up face to face with the Marine Management Organisation (MMO) who administer the fund
- The next FLAG board meeting is scheduled for June 4th in Weymouth.
Litter Free Coast and Sea (LFCS)
- Great Dorset Beach Clean 2019 – Over 200 brilliant beach clean volunteers took part over the weekend of the 27 & 28 Aril for the 30 Annual Great Dorset Beach Clean 2019. Cleaning beaches from Lyme Regis to Highcliffe they found a huge range of rubbish from crab and lobster pots, metal, wood, clothes, marine rope, bio beads, ‘nurdles’, cans, glass bottles, plastic packaging, old fishing gear, deck chairs, cigarette butts, plastic bottles…although not as many as last year, and the big nasties…yep, wet wipes! Yuck.
- Clean Seas Weeks – The LFCS team delivered a fun filled fortnight of events, activities, walks, talks and displays, celebrating the life and love of our seas and how we keep them clean and safe for people and wildlife. Our project partners ran a brilliant rage of activities including; Wessex Water, the WI, Litter Free Purbeck, Dorset Waste Partnership, Cefas and Swanage Bay Fish Shop. Eco Crafts, a blitz the Butts day with Litter Free Purbeck.
Tags: Dorset & East Devon FLAG, Dorset Coastal Connections, Litter Free Coast & Sea