DCF eNews June 2021
Posted : June 22, 2021
Celebrating the completion of improvements at Shore Road Poole Seafront, part of the Dorset Coastal Connections project. Photo credit: BCP Council
Welcome to Dorset Coast Forum’s June eNews update. If you have an article to share, or wish to unsubscribe, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find us on Twitter at @Dorset_CF and Facebook @DorsetCoastForum.
- The DCF team’s virtual Annual Meeting 2021 was held on the 17th June and we’ve already had some excellent feedback from our membership about the speakers. If you wanted to attend the meeting but were unable, you will be able to find the presentations on our website in due course.
- Situated in the heart of Sandbanks and offering a gateway to one of Britain’s best beaches, Shore Road is now a worthy starting point onto the promenade around Poole Bay with the final touches now completed. As part of the Dorset Coastal Connections project Shore Road has benefited from improvements to public realm and facilities. By creating an attractive plaza with new seating and improved signage, Shore Road offers a greater sense of arrival and welcome to the area.
- The next Swanage Coastal Change Forum steering group meeting is due to held on 22nd June.
- With the summer holidays upon us, it continues to be important to engage kids in coastal safety in a way that they will enjoy- you can rewatch Coastwise here (CoastWise – Dorset Coast Forum) and share it with friends and families. It has lots of messages in this lively animation to help families enjoy the coast safely.
FISHERIES AND AQUACULTURE DEVELOPMENT WORK
- Dorset Council confirms an English Aquaculture Innovation Centre (AIC) will be included in the submission to carry forward for levelling-up funding from Central Government. If funding is granted the AIC will bring businesses and people together as a place for knowledge exchange and collaborative working, creating an environment of excellence in aquaculture. Dorset Council will publish further details on this proposed project over the coming weeks as they pull the bids together ahead of the mid-June deadline. Read more about it here
- As usual Martin is available to help with Fisheries and Seafood Scheme applications. So far, he has been helping eight businesses across Dorset and East Devon to develop a bid. If you have a bid that you need help with…you know what to do! Contact him at email@example.com or 01305 224766.
LITTER FREE COAST & SEA (LFCS)
Litter Free Coast and Sea – Great Dorset Beach Clean 2021
The annual Great Dorset Beach Clean event returned over the weekend of 22nd-23rd May. Despite the stormy weather there was a great turn out and 19 of the 22 events were able to take place. 328 #LitterHero volunteers helped clean up Dorset’s beautiful beaches, collecting 165 bags of rubbish. A big thank you to all beach clean leaders, participants and Dorset Council Waste Services for removing the collected litter from each site.
Respect, Protect, Collect
Litter Free Coast and Sea launched their summer, post-lockdown beach campaign. ‘Respect, Protect, Collect’ banners and bin stickers have been delivered to all targeted coastal locations. This campaign will encourage visitors to Dorset’s coast to exhibit positive behaviours regarding waste and litter when at the beach and coast this summer, and if the public bins are full, encourage the public to take their rubbish home with them to responsibly dispose of there.
Litter Free Dorset and Litter Free Coast & Sea are merging
Litter Free Dorset and Litter Free Coast and Sea are merging into one big happy family! This is really exciting for us as we will be able to work on projects from source to sea all under the same name – Litter Free Dorset – Land, Coast & Sea. We also have a logo and will be moving over to Litter Free Dorset’s social platforms. We will still continue to work very closely with the Dorset Coast Forum team.
Sustainable Swanage have begun a programme of wildlife surveys at sites across the town, with the first butterfly survey taking place in June. Thank you to the volunteers who took part in this survey. If you are interested in volunteering, please get in touch with Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org.